Sunday, February 3, 2013

burlap heart door hanger

This week's challenge for our Dog Day's of Winter Linky Party is "Love-It" which means we want to see all of your Valentine's Day projects, recipes, and crafts! 

I made a burlap heart door hanger for my project this week! I have really been wanting one of these for my front door and finally decided that I should attempt to make it myself! :)


This was super easy to make and only took me about an hour to make from start to finish. 


Since I'm not a DIY blogger, I'm not good about taking pictures as I go, but here is a little run-down of supplies and how-to for this project! :)

What you need for this project: 

Burlap
Fabric of your choice (I used the red chevron) 
Scissors
Sewing machine or hot glue gun
Craft wire
Lots of plastic grocery sacks
rafia 

I cut 2 stencil for my hearts out of wrapping paper. One a little larger than the other.
I used the smaller wrapping paper stencil heart to trace the chevron heart. Then used the bigger one to trace the burlap hearts. 

Once cut out, I sewed the fabric heart onto one of the burlap hearts. I have a pretty generous border on the heart so that it would have a more "hand-made" look and not so finished. 


Then I hot glued the two pieces of burlap together leaving a little hole that I could stuff the plastic bags into before completely closing. 


Once the bags were stuffed, I sealed the hole with hot glue, attached the wire and made a little bow from some leftover scraps of fabric and raffia. 
 

Remember to come back tomorrow and link-up your "Love-It" projects! When you link your project, it will automatically be linked to all 9 blogs participating in the Dog Days of Winter Party! 


Can't wait to see all your fun ideas!

5 comments:

Tonya @ Love of Family And Home said...

So cute!! Love this Jennifer! :)

Mel Tales said...

Great job on the door hanger! LOVE IT! Thanks for the linky party! Happy Monday!

Julie Boarder said...

Thank you for hosting. I'm new to your blog, but am now following!

Julie

Meagan said...

About how big is your heart? I love this idea and want to make one to give to my daughter's kindergarten teacher for Valentine's day!
megsmolinski@hotmail.com

Meagan said...

sorry, where did you get the burlap too? :)